Sunday, July 09, 2006

Comments on Nielsen Article Below

My reservation about Nielsen's aversion to graphics on web sites (see article below) is governed by one of his own principles--that everything on a site ought to enhance the user experience and not just be for the convenience of the site owner.

Forget graphic ads and Flash presentations; it's a given these days that nobody likes them except some graphic designers and marketing people. What about graphics that help explain a concept or physical thing? "Learning styles," including the visual learner, are firmly entrenched in learning theory. I hope the usability experts will let us keep these useful, explanatory graphics. (I'm prejudiced because I happen to be a visual learner. I want to see the big picture represented in graphics--functional, usable graphics.)

I can't say I've read everything Jakob Nielsen has written, so maybe he has made this point already and it is not reflected in the article below. David Orr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home