Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Instant Messaging for Business

I've been using instant messaging (IM) for business since 2003, when I was on a project with Hewitt Associates and witnessed the following: I needed the answer to a technical question to ensure the accuracy of the training materials I was writing. I phoned the tech lead several times, getting voicemail each time. I emailed him several times with no reply. I was on a deadline and needed the answer that day. Someone suggested IM. Hewitt used Lotus SameTime, so I fired it up and sent the guy an instant message.

Presto, he answered immediately. He apologized for not getting back to me, told me that he was in a web conference meeting, answering a backlog of email, handling two phone calls and six instant messages--all concurrently. He gave me a link to a resource that would answer my question and signed off. I saw instantly the value of IM--it demands people's immediate attention--they know you know they are online, so they answer.

Later I was in another project in Atlanta. Several team members sat around a table in a meeting. The culture allowed people to multitask on their laptops during meetings. Only about 10% of the meeting was of interest to me and my co-worker across the table. We used AOL IM to trade information, and a few wry comments on the meeting, without interrupting the meeting. Meanwhile, we continued our main work, which was writing.

So, it is with considerable interest that I share the following article:

AOL launches IM for business users. AOL launched AIM Pro PE, a version of its instant messaging software with new features for business users.

[Computerworld Breaking News]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home